Google’s making it possible for individuals to verify AdWords-certified status. They’ve created a profile page for every certified person, which is visible only to you by default. You can opt to make it public and link to from your web properties, social media pages, and just about everything else except for email signatures (which they frown on). It only gives your name, company if applicable, and then reads “Certifications: AdWords.” It does not specify whether it’s in Search, Display, and/or Video. Here’s mine.
One of the reasons for the certifications’ existence is that performance marketing is infamous as an industry where everyone claims they’re experts though no one has any credentials. To complicate things, those who are not certified often say they are. With no Google-provided way to verify, who would ever know?
Google has also now created personalized HTML certificates, which can be printed or pasted on a bio page. It also does not specify how many of which certifications the named person has. Many were confused and upset last fall when the Google Partners Program first launched with no individual certificate whatsoever, unlike the Google Certification Program it replaced. Google said individuals don’t need certificates because advertisers don’t seek individuals, they seek companies – so there would only be a company badge. This latest news represents an about-face on the issue.
Here’s the complete copy/pasted text of the email from the Google Partners Team that announced all this:
Show your AdWords certification to potential clients
There are now two new ways for you to show others that you’re a Google AdWords expert. Starting today, anyone who’s AdWords certified can get a personalized HTML certificate on Partners. Also, you now have a publicly sharable profile page, which includes your certifications and basic information like your name, Google+ profile photo and company affiliation.
Here’s how it works:
To view the HTML version of your certificate:
- Sign in to your Google Partners account at http://www.google.com/partners
- Click the ‘My profile’ link in the ‘Overview’ section.
- If you’re AdWords certified, click the ‘AdWords Certified’ link to open a printable, HTML version of your certificate.
- You can print the certificate or save it to your desktop to share with potential clients.
To share your Google Partners public profile:
- Select the ‘My Profile’ page link from the menu.
- Visit the ‘Public Profile’ section of this page. By default, your public profile page is visible only to you.
- To make your profile visible to others, click the ‘Share with’ drop-down menu and select ‘Public.’
- You can now click the ‘View Profile’ link and begin sharing your page with anyone.
- If you’re signed in to your Partners account, your profile’s visibility status will appear at the top of the page. You may always change it from public back to private.
To learn more information about certifications and your public profile, visit the Help Center.
See you online,
The Google Partners Team